In this first post of our ongoing Bible Basics series - simple Bible lessons for toddlers - we'll be starting at the beginning. A very good place to start. :)
"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." -Genesis 1:1
God created the earth and everything in it.
Creation story book
- Construction paper, 2 pieces plus extra
- Markers or crayons
1. Fold two pieces of construction paper in half so form a small booklet. Write the memory verse on the front cover.
2. Draw pictures or help your child draw/color pictures that represent the different days of creation. Each inside page will represent one day. Add text if you like. If you do not want to draw, print some Clip Art images from your computer or find alternate pictures for your child to color, cut, and glue.
3. Read the book together with your child and use it for review throughout the week.
How We Go Through the Lesson
1. Recite or sing memory verse.
2. Read Bible story. We use the Beginner's Bible, but you can choose a children's story Bible or "grown-up" translation that suits you and your family.
3. Recite or sing memory verse.
4. Craft or project. Depending on the day of the week this may be a project like the one above or it could be a coloring page or something completely different.
*Repeat the lesson almost every day. This could mean doing it on weekdays or taking one day to work on the project, saying the memory verse together throughout the day, and reading the Bible story before bed each night. It doesn't matter when or how, but the repetition is key for toddlers to retain the lessons presented to them.Check out some of these projects for more ideas:
A list of posts with several different ideas on teaching Creation
Craft teaching the specific days of Creation
One we've done before - simple Creation craft
Another Creation book - no drawing or color involved
Yet another Creation book