Monday, July 22, 2013

On Being Humble

"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way."  -Psalm 25:9

During Family Bible Time a few weeks ago, one of the kids prayed this prayer, "Lord Jesus, thank you for making me good at violin and piano."  And, after Dad whispered in his ear, added, "Help me to be humble.  In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Isn't it easy to thank God when things are going well and we feel like we're doing a great job at everything we attempt?  But how much more difficult is it to be humble and receive instruction?

I don't know about you, but I hate to be wrong.  I want to be sure that what I do is done right, what I think is right, and whatever decision I make is right.  I don't want to be corrected.  I don't want to be shown another way.  And I certainly do not want to be taken down from a prideful state.

And yet, humility is so important in our walk with The Lord.  The psalm above says that God "guides the humble in what is right".  If I have such a desire to be on the right track, making the right decisions, with right thinking then wouldn't it make sense for me to be humble before The Lord?

But, like our children, humility is not often my first response.  Praise The Lord for the whispers (and whacks over the head) to remind me of my need to be humble!

No comments:

Post a Comment