Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Toddler Bible Lesson - Joseph's Dreams
Welcome to Bible Basics! I'm glad you stopped by. If you're wondering what we're up to in this ongoing series, check out this introductory post. For a growing list of toddler Bible lessons you can take a look at the Bible Basics page.
Over the last few lessons we have been focusing on Jacob. Today we’re moving on to learn about Jacob’s favorite son, Joseph. Over the next three weeks we will follow Joseph from living with his family, to being sold into slavery in Egypt, to his reunion with his family. This will conclude our lessons from the book of Genesis. Yay!
Here is a simplified text of the entire story of Joseph.
“Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more.” -Genesis 37:5
Joseph had a dream.
Sun, Moon, Stars Mobile
- Craft foam (construction paper would work as well)
- Foam star stickers (or regular stickers)
- White glue, optional
- Glitter, optional
- Hole punch
- Yarn or string
1. Cut craft foam into the shape of a large star, a moon, and a sun.
2. Place star stickers on piece of craft foam. Cut around stars.
3. Decorate large star with glue and glitter. Alternatively you may choose to use stickers or markers and crayons.
4. Punch a hole at the top of each small star, the large star, the sun, and the moon.
5. Tie yarn or string onto each piece. String the smaller stars together into 2-3 long strands.
6. Tie all pieces to a hanger.
How We Go Through the Lesson
1. Recite or sing memory verse.
2. Read Bible story. We use the Beginner's Bible, but you can choose a children's story Bible or "grown-up" translation that suits you and your family.
3. Recite or sing memory verse.
4. Craft or project. Depending on the day of the week this may be a project like the one above or it could be a coloring page or something completely different.
*Repeat the lesson almost every day. This could mean doing it on weekdays or taking one day to work on the project, saying the memory verse together throughout the day, and reading the Bible story before bed each night. It doesn't matter when or how, but the repetition is key for toddlers to retain the lessons presented to them.
What creative ideas do you have to teach the lesson of Joseph’s dreams?
This post is linked up at:
Mom's Library, True Aim Education
Mommy-Brain Mixer, Jellibean Journals