Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What Would Parents Do Without Google?

Image from
I Google-d this tonight:

My child swallowed a Lego

And here is what I learned from Ask Dr. Sears:

Swallowed Objects

Children often swallow small objects such as coins, toys, or jewelry. These nearly always pass through the intestines and are eliminated in 3 to 5 days without causing harm, in fact, I have even seen an open safety pin pass through with no problem. It is only a problem if the object gets stuck somewhere along the way.
If your child swallowed a small object, he may have a brief episode of gagging while it travels down the esophagus (the tube running from the mouth to the stomach). If your child then is not having any signs of the object being stuck in the esophagus then you can simply observe him as directed below.
It's good to know we're not the only ones.

It's also a relief to know that a big drink of water and a banana can move the inside of a wheel down a child's esophagus.  Hopefully it will have an uneventful trip all the way out.

I do wonder, though, how my parents knew what to do when their daughter swallowed a Ninja Turtle weapon.  You know...those being prehistoric days without Google and all...

P.S.  The 3 and under crowd was already jammin' in bed.  That doesn't say much about our older crew, does it?  :/


  1. Hi Becca! I actually swallowed a Lego when I was in kindergarten....WAY before Google :) My mom called the urgent care and they suggested feeding me bread to push the Lego along through my system. So sounds like similar advice! Laura Johnson

    1. Hi Laura! I had actually thought of calling my parents but then I remember swallowing a Ninja Turtle weapon and they gave me bread. I'm not sure if it went down at first, though, because I also remember having X-Rays at the ER. Maybe because it was sharp? Anyway...glad to know I didn't follow any outlandish advice! Hope you're doing well! Becca :)

  2. I'm so glad that baby is okay. Not sure which one this happened to, but thank God!!! Thanks for the tip, too....Ronin puts everything in his mouth. It's good to hear from you guys! Hope everyone is well!!!

    1. It was NOT one of the little ones. :) But it seems to have cleared the esophagus and no problems have come up. We do have to check stools to make sure it comes out, As if we don't deal with enough poop around here! :) How are you guys doing?