Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday Funnies: Birds, Bees, and Whales

Joshua (5 1/2 years old) has been reading up a storm lately.  He primarily sticks to the Bible and books he finds at the library about the Roman Empire.  He has, though, expanded his horizons and has been reading a couple of encyclopedias for children which we ordered for school next year.

One of these encyclopedias is about the human body and it has a very tasteful and age-appropriate section on reproduction - informative but very discreet.  Now, Joshua has no context at all to understand this subject.  As Claude pointed out, that innocence is an asset because when he does start asking more questions, he won't have all of the connotations that we might have.

I was, however, relieved that the conversation took the turn that it did and that I wasn't left with a dinner table encircled by toddlers and preschoolers who were waiting for me to explain to them this great mystery.  Where they did go with the conversation gave me a good laugh, though!

While sitting at the table eating lentil soup Joshua declares, "My bowl is full of sperm!"

"Really?" I inquired.  "How do you know about sperm?"

"Well, it's just there because there's a giant sperm whale in my soup," he replied casually.

His sisters nodded in agreement.  Sperm.  Whales.  Sperm Whales.  Why not?

1 comment: