Monday, December 16, 2013

Catching Up - Mom and Hope's Visit


We've been posting pretty infrequently around here recently.  I have all kinds of ideas for writing posts about the craziness of raising five littles but the craziness of raising five littles prevents me from sitting down at the computer long enough to get anything written.  It also keeps me from forming fully coherent thoughts.

But in an attempt to use this blog for one of its intended purposes - chronically our family life - I'm going to use the next couple of posts to catch up a bit on the life and times in the Chew Crew.

So, back to October/November...


Just a few days after Rachel's birth, my mom and one of my sisters came for a two week visit.  It was the first time we've had my sister Hope come for a visit, so the kids were super excited.  And since they'd only really seen her on Skype it was a really neat opportunity for them to get to know their aunt.

The kids spent quite a bit of time drawing with Hope.  I think they had a good time.

Mom pitched in with some housework and took on a couple of days of babysitting so we could go to post-partum appointments, to the see the pediatrician, and for Claude and I to have a date.  All in all it was a good visit, although I'm sure Mom and Hope were glad to get back to their quiet house.  ;)

While they were here, we visited George Ranch Historical Park.  I was skeptical that the cost was worthwhile, but I was pleasantly surprised.  They had a lot to offer in terms of history and the kids really enjoyed it.  The highlight was the cattle demonstration where we watched real cowboys show us how the look after their calves.  We also were able to see a Texas Longhorn take a walk around the arena.  I wouldn't want to get in the way of one of those guys!

It was, despite my misgivings, a great way to experience something pretty unique to Texas.  And now we have some cowboys running around our house with lassos made from scarves, trying to rope rocking horses and any toddler who might happen to wander in their path.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment