Thursday, February 28, 2013

Easter Salvation Storyboard Craft


Easter is coming up in just a few weeks so I thought I would post my all time favorite Easter craft.  I first made this about five years ago when I was preparing the Easter lesson for our church's nursery kids (ages 0-5 years old).  I have used it in several other lessons.  You can adjust it to fit the needs and ages of the children you are teaching.

Scripture
Matthew 27:32-28:10--Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection from the tomb.

Lesson Objective
Jesus saves me from my sin
-or-
Jesus is alive!

Memory Verse
"All who believe in Jesus have their sins forgiven through his name." (Acts 10:43, simplified from the NIrV)
-or-
"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us." (1 John 3:16)
-or-
A different verse of your choosing

Salvation Storyboard Craft
Materials
-Illustrated picture of Jesus (check out a free one here)
-Crayons
-Craft sticks, 3 per craft
-Glue
-Construction paper, blue, green, and brown
-Dark colored felt, cut into circles
-Cotton balls

Directions
Ahead of time
-Cut blue and green construction paper in half lengthwise.  Glue together so that the green is overlapping the blue slightly.  Put glue at the ends, leaving the middle open.
-Cut brown construction paper into a semi-circle.  Glue this in the middle of the green paper and tack it down with a dot of glue at the top of the circle on the blue paper.
-Break one craft stick in half.  You can do this by cutting a notch on each side of the stick - it should break easily.


With Child
1. Have child color picture of Jesus.  Glue to a craft stick.  Set aside.
2. Give child a prepared storyboard, a piece of felt, a few cotton balls, and one full plus one half of a craft stick.  Glue craft sticks together to form a cross.  Glue the cross onto the storyboard.

3. Glue the felt circle onto the storyboard.  This will be the stone in front of the tomb.
4. Glue the cotton balls to the right of the tomb.  These will be clouds.
5. Write the following text across the bottom of the storyboard:
     "Jesus died on the cross for my sins."
     "He was buried in the tomb but He came back to life."
     "Then He went home to heaven.  Jesus is alive!"
6. Use the storyboard to tell the story of Jesus dying on the cross, being buried in the tomb and raised to life, and then ascending to heaven.

What's your favorite Easter craft for toddlers and/or preschoolers?

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I'm using this idea tomorrow with my preschooler and his friend at our little co-op! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaby, I'm so glad that this is a helpful resource for you and others! It's one of my favorite Bible lessons to do with little ones. In fact, I'm doing it with my 2 1/2 year old this morning. Have fun! :)

      Delete
  2. I am going to also do this tomorrow night with my kids group at Church!! Am I missing the picture of Jesus to cut out or did you just Google and get one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture of Jesus in the photos above is one that I drew myself and then photocopied. I did a quick Google search when writing the post, though. So, if you check under "Materials" you should find a link for the illustration of Jesus that says "free one here". It was a bit big, but the coloring page is free and I just used it today with my toddler by reducing it to size. Another Google search would probably turn up different images you could use. I searched for "Jesus coloring page free". Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. What are the measurements for the Jesus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what I am sending to my SS kids During our quarantine, I want to help parents talk this through with the kids. Thank you . One of my favorite times of the year

    ReplyDelete